The production processes of food and beverages require the maintenance of hygienic conditions to prevent episodes of contamination during all stages of the transformation process. In addition to maintaining high hygiene standards, food companies must operate according to efficiency principles aimed at eliminating product waste while maximizing systems energy efficiency. In this context, the use of safe and technologically advanced equipment plays a fundamental role. Double diaphragm pumps can certainly be part of this type of very important equipment in food processing. In this article, after analyzing the main risks of the food processing sector, we want to focus on the main benefits associated with the use of AODD pumps.
What are the main risks of food processing processes?
The main risks that all food and beverage companies face during all stages of transformation can be summarized in the following points:
- Contamination: the elements that participate in the production process, if not treated properly, can cause harmful effects on the entire transformation and supply chain.
- Environmental problems: any contamination or leakage of dangerous substances can cause environmental problems.
- Safety: episodes of contamination or contact with harmful substances can constitute a risk for the workplace and for the employees working there.
- Profitability: the interruption of the production process due to a possible episode of contamination negatively affects the conditions of company profitability.
The maintenance of strict control protocols on the origin of food and the safeguarding of hygienic conditions within the production process can certainly significantly reduce episodes of risk. In particular, the choice of adequate equipment plays a decisive role in maintaining a production process protected from contamination risks. In this context, double diaphragm pumps are one of the most important equipment used within food processing processes.
Benefits of double diaphragm pumps in the food and beverage sector
Diaphragm pumps, thanks to their ability to manage a high type of fluid, play a very important role in food processing processes, especially in the context of protecting against contamination risks and maintaining hygiene conditions. The main benefits related to the use of this equipment can be summarized in the following points:
- Diaphragm pumps can operate at very different temperature ranges and therefore can be easily adapted to the operating conditions of production and transformation processes.
- The versatility in terms of materials allows double diaphragm pumps to adapt to different types of dangerous fluids avoiding the risk of corrosion or damage to the pump elements.
- The dry running and solid handling capabilities make AODD pumps very suitable for use in sanitizing and disinfection processes and wastewater or solid waste treatment.
- Double diaphragm pumps can be equipped with automatic leak detection equipment, essential elements for safeguarding the entire food or beverage transformation process.
- Double diaphragm pumps can be used in accordance with the guidelines provided by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or according to other international certification bodies such as EC 1935-2004, 3A
- Diaphragm pumps can operate without the need for electricity and for this reason they guarantee safe operation in the various application contexts of use.
- The ease of installation, accessibility in terms of purchase prices and the reduced need for maintenance combine to preserve the conditions of profitability of the production plant and of the owner company.
Use of diaphragm pumps in the food sector
Diaphragm pumps represent a production factor of absolute importance within the food and beverage production processes. Diaphragm pumps for food use can handle a wide range of application solutions:
- Processes of reception, handling, transformation and storage of ingredients included within the food or beverage production processes.
- Dosing, filtering and handling of fluids of variable viscosity: sauces, jellies, jams, concentrates, beer, wine.
- Pumping of wastewater wells or residues of disinfection and sanitization processes.
- Drums and tank unloading operations.
- Pumping of chemicals used within the transformation processes (acids or soda).
- Use within CIP (Clean in Place) systems that guarantee automatic cleaning of food and beverage production plants.
- Feeding of food packaging processes.
- Meat processing or treatment of slaughter process residues.
Choosing the right equipment is a fundamental aspect for maintaining high standards of safety and production efficiency. Diaphragm pumps play a fundamental role in the proper functioning of a food processing plant. For this reason, it is necessary to carefully choose the best and most suitable pumping solution for the production needs of the plant. DEBEM sales engineers can support you in choosing the best solution in terms of configuration, size and materials. Contact the DEBEM team now for more information.